Monday 19 January 2015

The Whine List

Before I start, I have to say that the vast vast majority of my wine experiences are positive, even when I may not like a wine, I will always look for appreciation of it and think about why it may not be of my personal taste. An example of this is Vin Jaune from the Jura. I met loads of incredibly friendly, enthusiastic producers at the Vignerons Independents exposition in Paris last year but I bloody can't stand that wine! However I know it isn't a bad wine, it is just a certain style and let's face it, probably quite an acquired taste as you don't see it in any restaurants or shops here (let me know if you do please!).

Anyway, I like to think I am thoughtful and mindful when considering the qualities of a wine without just dismissing it as being bad or cheap without any justification. It is with this mindfulness that leads me to my big whine; wine lists in pubs. Not old man pubs and not the top end gastro-pubs but the pubs, the, particularly round my way Antic pubs, the we-serve-really-nice-food but the wine is an after-thought pubs. Trying hard here not to sound like a wine snob, but I'm finding it increasingly difficult to buy a lovely decent glass or bottle of wine in these types of establishments. I think the reason it frustrates me so much is that in the world there is so much wonderful good value wine, I just feel all these places are really missing a trick, however I expect there are brewery politics to contend with in many places. But next time I'm in a pub drinking a bottle of Rioja (not by myself), I'd rather it wasn't called Livor! (My problem, I know!)

So whine over. Some great wine lists I have experienced recently are:

Gong - Top O' the Shard, to you and I! A wonderful array of proper quality wines that actually for the location don't completely break the bank and taste amazing. First up is the GrĂ¼ner Veltliner, Prager ‘Hinter der Burg’, Wachau, Austria, 2012. 



 A wine with lovely mineral undertones and bags of citrus with a sprinkle of spice. A beautiful smooth refreshing white wine. We then moved to the dark side and wow! The Shaw & Smith Shiraz, Adelaide Hills, Australia, 2012.



This was chocolaty, oaky, subtle dark berries, the most velvety tannins. A total knockout!
Here is my friend Victoria (another knock out, coincidentally she did teach me how to box!), very happy drinking some in the highest bar in Europe!





The Rivington, Greenwich - I have had issue with the weird offally food this place offers and the beans on toast they did at some point, but I do have some strange food issues so I'm going to attempt to get over them. Anyway, I'm happy to visit this this place not to eat, the wine list is great! A white Musar, well I have to try that! They have the great Tandem Syrah (Mentioned in the Morocco post) but I tried the red Bacio-cielo (Kiss the sky), Conciliis 2011, an Aglianico Barbera blend. It had a lovely depth, with a definite sweet cherry flavour with a hint of leather and well integrated tannins. A very good wine, makes me want to go back and try the rest!

So next on my Wine Hit List is The Sportsman in Seasalter. I am beyond excited about going there for my birthday in two weeks, I mean, they sell my favourite Viognier from a fairly small producer! They definitely have taste!

If you have a wine list you've loved recently please let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment